Obtaining Turkish Citizenship Step by Step
Turkey is a cosmopolitan country that hosts millions of people from different nationalities. Turkey, a country where different nations live in peace and tranquillity, adorns the dreams of many foreigners. Turkey is a country that attracts the attention of many investors with its magnificent nature, rich historical culture, wonderful climate, unlimited business options, and wide trade volume. Turkey, which is located on important transit routes in the world and has the Istanbul and Canakkale Straits, which are very important natural waterways, is the focus of commercial investors. Every year, thousands of foreign investors buy real estate in Turkey for a better life and apply for Turkish citizenship.
Turkey, having a very important strategic location, is a special country that has hosted various civilizations for centuries. Turkey, which acts as a bridge between Europe and Asia due to its unique location, offers foreigners various ways to obtain Turkish citizenship. We will mention these ways later in the article. But to put it briefly, the shortest way for foreigners to apply for Turkish citizenship with their families is to buy real estate. Foreigners who buy real estate in Turkey with a value of 250,000 USD can easily apply for Turkish citizenship together with their family (spouse and children under 18). In this way, foreigners both make a profitable investment and acquire Turkish citizenship.
One of the most important investment advantages offered by the Republic of Turkey to foreign investors is to grant Turkish citizenship in exchange for a real estate investment of 250,000 USD. Although one of the easiest ways to become a Turkish citizen is to invest in real estate, there are different ways to become a citizen. To briefly talk about the ways to obtain Turkish citizenship:
- Citizenship by birth
It is the citizenship that is born in Turkey and is automatically acquired based on the place of birth and the establishment of lineage with Turkish parents. A child born in Turkey, whose parents are unknown or stateless, acquires Turkish citizenship from birth. A child who is in Turkey and whose birth outside of Turkey cannot be documented is considered born in Turkey. These children are registered in the Turkish population registers based on the statement of the law enforcers and related institutions.
- Citizenship by adoption
It is the citizenship acquired by a Turkish citizen through the adoption of children under the age of 18, provided that they do not have a situation that would constitute an obstacle in terms of national security and public order.
- Citizenship by marriage
Citizenship by marriage is a common practice not only in Turkey but also in various countries around the world. It is the citizenship acquired by a foreigner who marries a Turkish citizen if he or she fulfills the conditions such as being married for 3 years, continuing the marriage, and living in a family union.
- Citizenship by residence
It is citizenship that can apply that foreigners (adults and adults over 18 years of age) residing in Turkey uninterruptedly and legally (with a work or residence permit) for at least 5 years.
- Citizenship by Turquoise Card
Turkey implemented the Turquoise Card application in 2017 to employ qualified people and to eliminate the obstacles that foreign investors may encounter in issues such as residence and work permits in Turkey. Foreigners who are entitled to receive this card can also apply for Turkish citizenship.
- Citizenship by investment
The shortest way for Turkish citizenship is to apply for Turkish citizenship by investment. It is possible to acquire Turkish citizenship for a short time by investing within the framework of the rules determined by the Turkish Government. The types of investments that can be made to acquire Turkish citizenship are as follows:
- Purchasing real estate with a minimum amount of 250,000 USD (An annotation for 3 years is placed on the real estate purchased for citizenship and cannot be sold. During this period, the person applying for citizenship does not have to live in Turkey. The person can sell the property after 3 years if he/she wishes).
- Making a minimum fixed capital investment of 500,000 USD (Fixed capital investment should be an investment in the production of goods and services (machinery, equipment, building, land, etc.)).
- Employing at least 50 people (Foreign investors determined to employ at least 50 people by the Ministry of Labor and Social Security can acquire Turkish citizenship).
- Depositing a minimum deposit of 500,000 USD in banks operating in Turkey, on the condition of keeping it for 3 years (It has to be determined by the Banking Regulation and Supervision Agency. The invested bank must be Turkish. Money deposited in a foreign branch of a bank based in Turkey cannot be accepted for citizenship application. The money deposited must be of the convertible precious metal type or foreign currency specified by the CBRT.)
- Purchasing government debt instruments with a minimum amount of 500,000 USD, provided that they are kept for 3 years (Foreign investors determined by the Ministry of Treasury and Finance to have purchased government debt instruments with a minimum amount of 500,000 USD, provided that they are kept for 3 years, can acquire Turkish citizenship).
- Purchasing a minimum of 500,000 USD real estate investment fund or venture capital investment fund with the condition of holding it for 3 years (Foreign investors determined by the Capital Markets Board, who have purchased real estate investment fund participation shares or venture capital investment fund participation shares for 3 years, can acquire Turkish citizenship).
* Among the ways to acquire citizenship through all these investments, the shortest and cheapest way to obtain Turkish citizenship is real estate investment. The Turkish lira, which has lost great value against the dollar in the last few years, has created a very suitable investment environment for foreign investors. Investors can apply for citizenship with their family by purchasing a sea view luxury flat in Istanbul or Antalya for 250,000 USD. In addition, if desired, income can be obtained by renting out the purchased real estate. Or, if the investors wish, instead of one flat, they can buy several flats for $ 250,000, live in one, and earn income by renting out the others.
* Turkish citizenship through real estate is the most common method among those who apply for citizenship. Turkish citizenship through real estate, which is one of the easiest ways to obtain Turkish citizenship, also provides many advantages to investors. Today, foreign investors from many different parts of the world apply for Turkish citizenship by purchasing real estate in Turkey and benefit from the advantages of Turkish citizenship. It is a wise choice to choose real estate investment to gain Turkish citizenship. With this wise choice, you have both invested in Turkish real estate, which is constantly gaining value, and obtaining Turkish citizenship, which offers many advantages.
Advantages of Turkish Citizenship
Turkey is one of the best and most ideal countries to grant citizenship through real estate investment. A foreigner who acquires Turkish citizenship through investment can benefit from all kinds of opportunities offered by the Turkish Government to its citizens.
Every year, thousands of foreigners buy real estate in Turkey. Some foreigners buy housing for holiday purposes, and some buy housing to take advantage of the advantages of Turkish citizenship. The advantages of being a Turkish citizen are:
- A foreigner who acquires Turkish citizenship can also have a Turkish passport. The Turkish passport is the 57th strongest passport in the world. With the Turkish passport, it is possible to travel to 110 countries without a visa, with a visa at the door, or with an easy online visa.
- A foreigner who applies for Turkish citizenship with a real estate investment can become a Turkish citizen together with his/her family. Spouses and children can also benefit from all the privileges of Turkish citizenship.
- A foreigner who is a Turkish citizen has the right to elect and be elected. Thanks to this right, the foreigner who is a Turkish citizen has the right to speak in the country where he/she lives.
- A foreigner who acquires Turkish citizenship does not need a work permit. He/she can apply for a job in any institution he wants in Turkey and can work wherever he/she wants without the need for a work permit.
- A person who has acquired Turkish citizenship can work in any institution or register with the social security institution by establishing his own business. If he meets the necessary conditions, he gets the right to retirement in Turkey.
- The children of a foreigner who has acquired Turkish citizenship also acquire the right to citizenship and can receive free education in public schools in Turkey. Education in Turkey is free in public schools. Various scholarships are provided to students who document their financial inadequacy.
- A foreigner who acquires Turkish citizenship can benefit from Turkey's advanced health system free of charge. In all state hospitals, examination, treatment, diagnosis, surgery, medicine, etc. You can use facilities such free of charge. Private hospitals in Turkey are subject to a fee. Persons registered with the social security institution can be examined or treated at discounted prices. All Covid-19 vaccines developed against the coronavirus epidemic, which has been in our lives since 2019 and affecting the whole world negatively, are applied free of charge to Turkish citizens.
- European Union negotiations with Turkey are continuing. In case of a positive result, Turkey will become a member of the European Union, and Turkish citizens will have the right to travel visa-free to all European Union countries.
- Turkey is a country that offers its citizens a high quality of life. With a stable economy and strong production, the standard of living is increasing every year. In a country, which has a safe living environment, people can freely roam everywhere, day or night.
- Turkey, which has a multicultural structure, also has a world-famous cuisine with highly developed and delicious options. Each region has its unique flavors.
- A person who acquires Turkish citizenship has the ease of transferring to other world country citizenships.
* In many parts of the world, various countries offer citizenship to foreigners directly or indirectly through investment. Citizenship can be obtained from various countries by investing in real estate, creating employment, or investing in government bonds. However, in addition to all these, there are some special conditions that the countries that grant citizenship in this way want to be fulfilled. While some countries require you to speak the language of the country or reside there in the citizenship by investment program, these conditions are not required in some countries. While it takes 7-10 years to get a passport in some countries, it takes 3-4 months in some countries. Turkey is one of the countries that offer the most advantageous citizenship conditions. Turkish citizenship can be obtained in a short period of 3 months through real estate in Turkey.
Conditions of Obtaining Turkish Citizenship
Some important points and conditions should be considered when applying for Turkish citizenship. The general conditions specified in Section VI of the Turkish Citizenship Law must be fulfilled by the applicant to acquire Turkish citizenship.
- The person applying for citizenship must have legal capacity in terms of age and mental awareness. In other words, the individual must be of sound mind and have reached the legally appropriate age, that is, over the age of 18.
- The person applying for citizenship must submit documents and evidence proving his/her intention to live in Turkey.
- It is important that the applicant has a good impression, good manners, and other noble qualities.
- The person applying for citizenship is expected to speak Turkish well and have a command of the language.
- The applicant must demonstrate that he or she can support himself and his family without having to earn a stable monthly income or seek humanitarian aid.
- The applicant and his/her family must not have a serious or contagious disease that threatens public health and must be in good physical condition.
- The applicant and his/her family must not pose a threat to national security and public order, have no criminal record, and must not have been the subject of criminal proceedings.
- If a citizenship application is not made through investment or marriage, the applicant must have resided in Turkey for 5 years uninterruptedly before the application date.
Obtaining Turkish Citizenship Step by Step
For Turkish citizenship, it is necessary to apply to official authorities first. Acceptance of the application is awaited for the implementation of the subsequent procedures. Afterward, the application file is sent for examination and all information of the applicant is checked without discrimination of religion, language, or race. This review includes all the information about the applicant in general. After this stage comes the next stage, which includes a detailed examination of the person applying for citizenship.
After the detailed examination process is completed, the name of the applicant is sent to the list of applicants, and the decision is left to the Council of Ministers. This stage is the final stage where the final decision will be made. The citizenship application of a person who fulfills all the conditions and completes the documents completely is accepted and reported to the relevant authorities. Otherwise, the application is rejected.